Posted on: 2 December 2015Share
The holidays are coming! Now is the time to get your garbage disposal ready to work hard. These tips will help you get your unit ready for heavy use at big holiday meals.
Clean Your Unit
Gunk that builds up inside your garbage disposal can cause clogs over time. Luckily, there are many natural products that you probably keep around your house that you can use to clean out the inside of your garbage disposal.
- Ice. Crushing ice in your garbage disposal helps grind away food particles stuck to the inside of the unit.
- Salt. Like ice, coarse salt also produces a scrubbing action against the walls of the garbage disposal, which helps to clean the walls and the blades of the unit.
- Vinegar. Vinegar is slightly acidic and will eat away at old organic material stuck in the blades and walls of the disposal. Flushing your garbage disposal with vinegar also helps neutralize any unpleasant odors coming from your unit. You can flush vinegar down your garbage disposal on its own, or put it in the garbage disposal with other ingredients like salt or lemon juice.
- Lemon juice. Much like vinegar, lemon juice helps flush away old food particles inside the unit while also covering up unpleasant smells. Some people may prefer to use lemon juice because of the pleasant scent, while others may prefer vinegar because it's often less expensive.
- Baking soda. Sprinkle baking soda into the garbage disposal and pour boiling hot water down after it. Baking soda can unstick difficult to remove foods like melted cheese and grease.
Pouring any one of these items down the drain and then turning on the garbage disposal can help clean out your unit for the holidays. Doing this on a regular basis will help keep drain clear and keep the inside of the unit clean and fresh.
Post a Sign
You probably have rules about what things can and can't go down your garbage disposal. Make a small sign clarifying which items aren't supposed to go down the garbage. Post that sign near the switch that turns the disposal on and off. This will help ensure that any holiday visitors who want to help clean up dinner will know the proper procedure for using the disposal.
Address Clogs Now
If your garbage disposal is draining slowly now, it's likely to get worse. Have a professional plumber come snake your drain now before the situation becomes an emergency. This will help ensure that your kitchen will be ready for your holiday guests.